News & Events
- October 2011 - "Simplified Method for Accurate Calculation of Evaporation from Swimming Pools", by Mirza M. Shah, PhD, PE, Fellow ASHRAE & ASME was published in the October 2011 issue of HPAC Engineering. The article provides look-up tables which give the results of calculations over a wide range of conditions, allowing the evaporation under design conditions for occupied and unoccupied pools to be read directly. These tables are based on Dr. Shah's formulas, which have been throughly verified with test data.
- June 2011 - On June 3, 2011, Ed Allen joined Walt Henry, Director of the Systems Engineering Group at MIT Facilities and Bruner/Cott principal Lynne Brooks to present an update to MIT Alumni about new campus green buildings and the sustainable design strategies being put into place at MIT. The panel explored the critical role an active, engaged building owner can have in shaping the performance of the completed building and its energy efficiency.
- June 2011 - van Zelm makes a special effort to support students who are pursuing careers in the AEC Industry. Since 1995, van Zelm's Golf Tournament has raised over $281,000 to benefit worthwhile causes. The 2011 Tournament raised $26,000 for the Connecticut ACE Mentor Program and the March of DImes. Slide Show.
- November 2010 - van Zelm led the design team for the new $20 million cogeneration power plant at One Penn Plaza in New York City. The city's largest commercial tower cogeneration plant provides half of the building's electricity and is set to reduce its carbon footprint by 40 percent. Producing 6.2 megawatts/hour, the project has been lauded as a trailblazer by the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority.
- October 2010 - Principal David W. Madigan, P.E., LEED AP, will participate in a panel presentation on LEED Science building initiatives at the Tradeline 2010 College & University Science Facilities Conference in Boston, on October 19th.
- June 2010 - van Zelm has a tradition of charitable giving, and we make a special effort to support students who are pursuing careers in the AEC Industry. Since 1995, van Zelm's Annual Charity Golf Tournament has raised over $250,000 to benefit worthwhile causes. The 2010 Tournament raised $23,000 for the Connecticut ACE Mentor Program and the March of DImes. Slide Show
- April 2010 - Principal David W. Madigan, P.E., LEED AP, will participate in a panel discussion on current projects at the Sustainable Design Symposium at Dartmouth College in April, 2010.
- November 2009 - Principal Edward D. Allen, P.E., LEED AP, will present at BuildBoston on Thursday, November 19, 2009. Case Study: Building the Institute for Global Citizenship at Macalester College - a LEED Platinum project.
- October 2009 - Eugene A. DeJoannis, P.E. and his wife Diane were featured in the October 2009 issue of Kiplinger's Personal Finance. Find their story under "Take Your Home's Energy Pulse" in the Living/Home section.
- August 2009 - van Zelm listed at #69 in Consulting -Specifying Engineer Magazine's MEP Giants 2009.
- June 2009 – van Zelm’s Annual Charity Golf Tournament Golf Outing slide show
- van Zelm named 6th Largest Connecticut Engineering Firm in Hartford Business Journal’s 2008 Annual Book of Lists
- July 2008 – David W. Madigan, PE, LEED™ AP selected to speak at the US Greenbuild International Conference & Expo to be held in Boston, MA November 19-21, 2008.
- June 2008 – van Zelm receives 2008 Top Ten Green Projects Award from the AIA Committee on the Environment for the Garthwaite Center for Science and Art, Cambridge School of Weston
- June 2008 – Pomfret School breaks ground for new, 3,000 square foot Events Center. The school’s newest building will create a state-of-the-art meeting space for parents, students and visitors in an energy-efficient building. MEP systems designed by van Zelm will help this facility consume approximately 40% less energy than a traditional building.
- June 2008 – American Society of Plumbing Engineers Charlotte, NC Chapter bestows its 2008 Director’s Award to Scott S. Steindler, CPD for Outstanding Performance through his work with the city (Charlotte, NC) and the community concluding in the city’s implementation of a Water Conservation Program.
- June 2008 – Thanks to our very generous participants, van Zelm’s Annual Charity Golf Tournament raised $30,000 to benefit the March of Dimes and the Connecticut ACE Mentor Program Golf Outing slide show
- May 2008 – David Madigan, PE, LEED™ AP hosts Solar House Tour & Seminar sponsored by PACE (People’s Action for Clean Energy) and CCEF (The Connecticut Clean Energy Fund) at his Canton, CT home
- April 30, 2008 – Groundbreaking Ceremony held for the new University of New England College of Pharmacy – Maine’s first academic building devoted to pharmacy studies and research. Van Zelm provided MEP systems designs for this unique project.
- April 2008 – White Paper by Joseph Camean, PE, St. Mary’s to TS Empire State, appears in the Fort Schuyler Mariner
- April 2008 – Paul B. Popinchalk, PE, LEED™ AP, recommends installation of solar-power systems on the roofs of West Hartford town buildings. He is a member of the town’s Clean Energy Task Force. West Hartford is halfway to achieving its goal of buying 20% of its energy from clean energy sources by 2010.
- January 2008 – van Zelm receives Excellence in Construction Award from Associated Builders & Contractors for Connecticut College Campus Upgrades
- Combined Cycle Journal, Fourth Quarter 2007 – Article titled Transitioning from a Steam Plant to Cogen Facility Key to Controlling Energy Costs highlights Amherst Cogen project, designed by van Zelm Power & Utilities Practice Group, led by Joseph F. Camean, PE. November 2007 – David Madigan, PE, LEED™ AP present Energy Services and Technology Seminar at Lakes region Community College, New Hampshire
- October 2007 – PACE - People's Action for Clean Energy, Inc. -conferred its 2007 Business Award to van Zelm for its decades-long commitment to the engineering principles and practice of sustainable design.
- October 2007 - van Zelm establishes office in Charlotte, North Carolina, with Bruce Hartman as its Director.
- October 2007 - David W. Madigan, PE, delivered a concurrent session with co-presenter Stephen Campbell /Dartmouth College Planning Design & Construction, titled "Raising the Bar at Big Green - Building Performance Metrics" for the Eastern Region APPA (ERAPPA) Conference in Ottawa. The presentation included information on how to develop a process to define energy use objectives, establish benchmarks and select applicable building technologies for a specific building type.
- September 2007 - van Zelm appears on Consulting-Specifying Engineers Magazine’s annual list of Engineering Giants for 2007